Always see “real women” posts so here’s one for the dudes.
this says so much. I wish there were more posts like this. please.
body positivity and realistic body standards are important for guys too!
Men are constantly reassured that it’s okay to oogle women and harrass them about their looks. Women rarely see sexualized images of men that are made for women.
Guys get eye candy everywhere they go. Their sexual gaze is constantly catered to. Women, at least hetero women, are rarely given the opportunity to have their sexual interest entertained. We’re told that we should be okay with having nothing to look at. That our fantasies don’t matter. That we shouldn’t ever even remotely expect to be able to eyeball a svelte man in public, only behind closed doors and heaven forbid that the man look vulnerable. So we finally get to see images that turn us on and people are like, “Hey, you can’t put that in magazines! that might hurt some little boy’s feelings!”
Men are given alternative physical images to aspire to. Women are not.
While yes, guys should be treated to body positivity too… they already are. Just watch TV or any comedy and count the number of pudgy, out of shape, male leads vs pudgy, out of shape female leads. Or the number of hairy, overweight, older men making block buster movies vs the number of hairy, overweight, older women. Now count how many times that male character has some incredibly smart, sexy wife who does everything for him. And then how many times she’s the butt of the joke when he gets hot for some woman who’s younger and thinner than she is.
Fuck, just look at the responses to women not shaving their legs vs the responses to guys not shaving off their stubble.
Name six movies about a woman above the age of forty who’s love interest is a man that’s younger than she is where the plot doesn’t revolve around her being the butt of a cougar or mom joke. Now name me six where a man over the age of forty’s love interest is a woman who’s significantly younger than he is. Bonus points for action movies where anyone in the movie makes a mention of the age difference.
How many times are male politician or CEO’s body or style of dress put into question? How many times are female’s? Or has everyone forgotten how we flip out when the president’s wife gets a new hair cut? Or how Hillary Clinton had to have a FUCKING MAKE OVER before the news agencies took her seriously? How many times was her daughter raked over the coals for looking like an average teenager?
What’s more, I’ve never heard any of my female friends or my mother and her female friends saying, “Why can’t my 50 year old husband get a six pack like that?” What I USUALLY here is “I wish my husband would get a nice hair cut.” or “I wish he’d wear some nicer clothes that actually fit him.”
But what i hear overhear men saying all time is, “No fat chicks!” or “I wish my wife had bigger boobs.”
I know a woman who’s husband threatened to leave her if she didn’t get a face lift and a boob job- she was so upset that she did it. She felt disgusting every day because she wasn’t a size six and he expected her to be a size six after bearing him four kids. My own uncle said if his wife got overweight that he’d drag her behind a car until she lost weight. These aren’t even “bad guys”! They seem like perfectly nice men when you meet them! But they’re taught from the moment they’re kids that all women need to be a certain body type to be worthy of any attention.
Men are told through our culture’s stories and media that a woman will still love them unconditionally and throw themselves at them if they’re fat, old, balding, or an asshole, while women are told that if they’re pushy, fat, old or wearing out of style clothes that they aren’t even worth mentioning.
I was just going to bold the good parts , so I bolded the whole thing lol.
Yes we understand that men have some body positivity thing too, but it pales in comparison to what we as women have to go through. It’s everywhere for us in all forms of media (magazines, billboards, commercials, etc) where they’re always promoting ways to look better as if the way you look wasn’t enough
Women are constantly judged for their appearances and it’s so stupid that we can’t be allowed to love ourselves because one tiny imperfection makes us unworthy. Pick up one of those celebrity magazines and you can see how they see women when they don’t dress a certain way or cake on makeup while they’re out grocery shopping
I get that some men would want some form of body positivity too, but realistically? You’re not being told 24/7 about how your physical appearance isn’t “perfect” enough. We’re treated like we’re supposed to be some form of eye candy and it’s disgusting.
And leeeeet’s not forget the sexy dudes we see in mainstream media are much more commonly catering to MALE power fantasies than hetero women’s tastes.
Posted on Friday, 23 May 2014
- maggieburnns reblogged this from mitchys-magical-mind
- mitchys-magical-mind reblogged this from thecripplechronicles
- slavetoanageoldtrade reblogged this from starsofyoursoul
- jirajara reblogged this from a-nerd-i-am
- postured likes this
- lizxrd likes this
- doiwanttosurvive likes this
- destroydemand reblogged this from hauntedsalads
- baddygirl97 reblogged this from hauntedsalads
- 18897 reblogged this from hauntedsalads
- gothc likes this
- hauntedsalads reblogged this from pussyvegan
- pettyblueherzog likes this
- backbreakinq likes this
- thisiswhereiblogsometimes reblogged this from ispenttoolongthinkingofanewname
- sonicdiversg reblogged this from thatonemoonie
- theoceanisnotsilent reblogged this from theinfernalmortalinstruments
- cristalrae likes this
- carnivoresailor reblogged this from rachelcockspert
- ispenttoolongthinkingofanewname reblogged this from crushing-wave
- breterbie reblogged this from yc2k
- bonbongalaxy likes this
- w-i-ll-o-w reblogged this from wheelchair-warrior
- 2girlsandpof likes this
- themidnightclub reblogged this from kiyarasabel and added:
- aru-moh likes this
- ale-rubi reblogged this from serenitylove4u and added:
- fandomlover908 likes this
- anotsoshinystar reblogged this from bombfemales
- cherokee-fangirl reblogged this from hannahinreverie
- deliciousbirdquist likes this
- janestclair reblogged this from moonie-couture and added:
- maikulnaim reblogged this from moonie-couture and added:
- coffeecat91 reblogged this from timeywimeyhobbit
- serenitylove4u reblogged this from moonie-couture
- serenitylove4u likes this
- christobelle likes this
- frozendiamond85 likes this
- braydinb reblogged this from moonie-couture
- sharkbaitsenpai reblogged this from hufflepuffinthetardis
- shangril4 reblogged this from that-girl-ryan
- kiyarasabel reblogged this from violetpoof
- mrusog likes this
- katemeyersveganpalooza likes this
- ellephedre likes this
- daidia likes this
- pufferjelly reblogged this from timeywimeyhobbit
- lucasbsp reblogged this from moonie-couture
- lucasbsp likes this